Saturday, February 4, 2023

Lawas here I come

After 5 hours’ drive with two short stops in between, we arrived at Lawas just before 2pm and checked into the Hotel. It is my first time crossing the border between Sabah and Sarawak. After countless times preaching in towns and villages at the south of Sabah near the border more than 27 years ago, it is about time that I went across and see that as spreading my wings of ministry to the State of Sarawak. I already liked the vibes of the town. I sat in a cafe and enjoyed my latte and waffle with ice cream.

I felt at home sitting and meditating on God’s love. I read a few Psalms and Galatians 2, the scriptures that I will preach on tomorrow. My first sermon in a BEM church across the State. Only Sabah retains the name decided upon in 1959, Sidang Injil Borneo, but about 15 years ago Sarawak reverted to its mission parent’s name BEM, perhaps giving credence to the importance of English. God has its purposes and that Sabah retains its Malay name of which I have been a part since 1989. I do not know whether I will remain in it or not, but after finishing my Galatians’ commentary I felt with my John’s commentary I have left something for the church in Sabah, the indigenous peoples of Sabah and Sarawak.





No comments:

Post a Comment