Friday, August 11, 2023

Preaching in English and Lecturing in Malay

The past fortnight was really intense. After returning from KL during which I conducted a 5 hour seminar over two days and preached on Sunday (in English) I only had Monday for a short break and then on Tuesday I was again busy preparing lectures on Romans and Wednesday, Galatians, Thursday, Matthew 23-28 and from 10.30-12.30pm I lectured on the texts and manuscripts of the Bible, all in Malay. Then after almost two weeks of non-stop work I slept in the afternoon and it was sweet as the sleep of a labourer has no worries attached to it unlike the rich who would worry much about their money and many possessions.

I even joked in my Sunday sermon with hyperinflation I might not have survived with my previous salary of 2021 and how amazing that my family and I survived with nothing throughout 2022 and the first half of 2023. I only broke one fixed D savings when I visited my son three months ago in May 2023. My books helped as they are selling well and even today my Masters student bought another two books for her friend and all 13 books were sold in KL. Commit your ways to the Lord and He will straighten your paths. Now after completing 6 weeks' lectures I realized it was indeed God's will because of God-given ability to lecture in Malay to a reasonably high standard. English lecturers one can find a few in Sabah but Malay speakers I know not any except one colleague of mine. I spoke about the need to get young Sabahans to be theologically literate from teenage years and they should do languages of the Bible before turning 20 years old or entering University. 

No comments:

Post a Comment