Friday, August 18, 2023

A Man's Lifespan is Short

Some thirty years ago, I gave up my law practice to pursue theological education in preparation for theological study. Today I received news that a special event will be held as a remembrance and memorial for lawyers who have passed away in the last 10 years. Many of the names in the list I know and I shall make an effort to attend as a mark of respect to my former colleagues. Just imagine these people were once healthy, active and making an impact in society and now they are gone forever. That's why I am in some sort of a hurry. Not to rush but understanding one's life span is short and I am just passing by this world in a few moments given by the Lord and I am accountable to how I make use of my time here on earth while still healthy.

Last night I gave a 2.5 hours lectures on Ephesians 1:1-12 with an exegesis of the Greek text and translation into Malay with comparative readings from various Indonesian and Malay Bibles. I think most students enjoyed last night, at the very least they were encouraged to refresh their Greek and one who knows has to take the lead and not let things slide. I also feel strongly that one has to find a place where one's gifts are appreciated like the Scripture says, "A man with vision and skilled in his work should serve before kings and should not serve slothful men." (Prof 22:29). How interesting. Masters and leaders can become slothful though once they were active and energetic. But alas! Where do I go, Lord? You spoke to me several times over to "prepare your work for your departure; be fully prepared for the field; also follow behind me and you will rebuild your house." (Prof 24:27 LXX). Am I returning to the mission field and soon depart from my current place of service? Sometimes there is no clarion call or voice from heaven but His Word is enough when He says, "Follow after Me". Lord bid me to come after You and I shall follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment