Friday, August 25, 2023

Korean Trip Aborted

I don’t know why I felt so strongly last weekend that I should not go to Korea. I was ready to fall on my sword and take full responsibility for withdrawing. But I am relieved that only this evening I had a sense of peace of what I was to do this one week of Semester break. I had worked non stop for three months since starting afresh in this new place of ministry. Eight weeks of lectures three hours each day from Tuesday to Friday. There were times by the time I finish my Wednesday’s lectures I would be so fatigued. Now there is a short break. And I have to mark two sets of assignments.

I have to plan ahead whether I want to be involved in the doctoral programme. Once I commit it won’t be five or six years but perhaps even 20 years. My supervisor over a period of 35 years had supervised 50 plus PhD students and my second supervisor who had retired had supervised 12 and I was his second doctoral student. With the lack of English skills among local students it would be optimistic if they could finish a doctor of theology thesis in 5 years and it could easily take 7 or 8 years. 

Hence, I was contemplating my role in all these whether it was God’s will for me to be involved but alas I am the only person in Sabah with a publication record of some note. I just met with my publishers of my local books and they already sold half my books in the first half of the year. My profit margin is little but at least the sales are still healthy. So Lord what would you want me to do? Shall I stay or shall I go? Shall I opt for early retirement and pot around my plants in my little garden but perhaps You want me to work still in your vineyard delivering fruits for Your glory in your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment