Sunday, March 20, 2016

"Yet none of you asks me, where are you going?" (John 16:5)

I went back home at 11pm after a Passover service in a village church. But the church has changed and they had extended the church by 40 feet and now could probably seat 600 people. There is large stage in front with space for three rows of tambourine dancers. Last night it was pretty full with an amazing worship team led by the youths.  I preached from John 16:4-11 with the title, "Jesus goes to the Father" signalling his death on the cross. I spoke about the need to ask questions and show concern to our brothers and sisters.  Jesus said, "Now you have not asked me anything?" which shows the disciples' inability to react in a way that was pleasing to the Lord.  Often times when we hear something important or serious,  we fail to react and ask the right questions and as a result we miss the opportunity to do good or show concern to those in need. It could be just a question "Why are you going?" or "Where are you going?" At least by asking we show that we care or are interested in the person's welfare and that could lead to a conversation and through a conversation knowing the person in a more intimate way rather than missing out when we choose to remain silent or indifferent.
But as for me, it is good to be out of a routine. For more than 14 months, every Sunday I would get up by 5am and prepare for the 8am and 10am services. This morning I got the chance to have breakfast in Ranau town and enjoy the town's bustling sounds without being enclosed within the 4 walls of a church building. I get the chance to relax and unwind after a heavy day's work yesterday. At the end of my sermon, about 10 mins to 10pm, I felt my energy drained and there was nothing left in the tank, so I led worship in reaponse to God's Word preached instead of an altar call for prayers. We ended just after 10.10pm and enjoyed another 30 mins of supper fellowship before I made my way home. It will be another busy weekend for me during Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday as I shall be preaching 3 times in a town near KK, but this time an hour's drive south.

No comments:

Post a Comment