Monday, May 29, 2023

Connecting with Friends

My bonanza this time was to reconnect with all my friends who lived in Auckland. On previous occasions I would be able to meet one or two but others would be absent either being elsewhere or uncontactable. I started last Saturday attending Carey’s graduation and saw my former Principal (1993-1994). On Sunday I visited my friend’s church and we had lunch and wonderful fellowship. Then on Tuesday I met a former missionary who is 81 years old (my guess was that he was in his mid70s). I consider him a comrade in Christ and he had set an example for sacrificial service in Sabah for a decade or two when he flew from NZ to teach an intensive course for our College in Namaus in Sabah.,

The highlight of my trip was meeting my best friend who came all the way to fetch me and drove me around Auckland and we had much time sharing over many things for 7 hours. He was ready to show hospitality into the night but I thought 5pm would be a good time to return home as he had to drive another hour to get back to his home. 

Yesterday I met my son’s pastor right in town snd he was really friendly and we chatted briefly as he had many more members to talk to as senior pastor of a church right in the heart of the city. I gave him my two English books and he received them with obvious delight. 

But when I consider all these, I was taken aback that my son’s friend over lunch was the only person during my time here who asked me theological questions. And he was sincere and wanting to learn and interacted with what I said to him. It happened that last Saturday I replied to a long email and answered 7 or 8 questions theologically and biblically. The person’s reply also touched my heart as she said she read what I wrote in tears of repentance and joy of understanding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment