Thursday, May 11, 2023

Books for Reading

Fewer and fewer people read books. Since the advent of You-tube, the percentage of people who do serious reading has declined considerably. For sure, the internet is a huge source of information, education and knowledge. But listening and watching a video cannot replace or displace the book-format. If something is written, it is meant to be read. "In the beginning was the Word" as if to tell one and all that this God for the "Word was God" (John 1:1) requires much reading if He is to be known. Listening to a Bible reading is a blessing; watching a lecture on the Bible or theology is refreshing, but nothing beats reading a book. A book is filled with words explaining the Word made flesh. The early disciples said to Jesus, "You have the words of eternal life." (John 6).

How can Christians read less and less? People might be filled with much information but it is only a form of knowledge-so-called. It can't beat the written Word enshrined in our Bible. Two days ago, I told a friend over lunch and it was not for the first time, "An old dog can't learn new tricks". I was telling him that not everyone is good with computers and some people require help or assistance from those who know. But one has to focus on what one does best. What is your gift or talent from the Lord? After almost 6 decades in life and more than 40 years in knowing Christ, I know that my primary gifts are in preaching, teaching and writing, perhaps in that order. 

I was only thinking about preaching yesterday and just an hour ago I received an invitation to preach a Christmas sermon in mid November. I guess I might have a busy Christmas season this year but I doubt it could beat 2016 when I travelled to 7 places and preached 22 Christmas sermons over 7 weeks from early November. Why am I called to preach? How can I improve on my preaching? It is through reading, first the Bible and books of all kinds, theological and secular especially history, politics and biographies of great men. 

No comments:

Post a Comment