Saturday, May 6, 2023

Currency & Travel

I despaired over the fall of the Ringgit. In the West, when inflation above 5 percent there is a big outcry, but here where I am prices had risen at least 20 percent and pork more than 100 percent over less than a year. If you are earning RM2,000 you will struggle to make ends meet nowadays wherever you are in even in rural towns and villages because kids need to go to School and busfare is sometimes more expensive in villages since the roads are not so good. Last night I did not weep.

I did not feel anything for my fellow pastors. Not that I am heartless but I am no longer one of them. A burden is lifted from my shoulders. Many a time like Joseph before this I wept a great deal in Pastors' Conferences. One of my closest friends, my former student's wife is back in her village with their kids as the husband's salary is nowhere enough to support their three kids all going to School. I would have wept if I were still one of them. 

I have sacrificed just like them never complaining about my salary. Even these 18 months without gainful employment, though ravens did not fly over to feed me, yet God's provision is simply marvellous. I can even afford a vacation overseas though I had to break a fixed deposit to pay for my airtickets. Twice I was in town to check on the rates. The best I could get was 2.81 Ringgit to the dollar. Yes I am going by faith again. I don't even know where I will stay when I reach there. I just pray that my son would see to my accommodation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment