Wednesday, December 27, 2023

A Famine of the Words of the Lord (Amos 8:11)

I just sent out my course outline for “Exegesis & Biblical Hermeneutics” for the January-May 2024 Semester. It is less than 3 weeks before the teaching Semester starts on 17th January. My course covers the whole of the Bible and that’s why I set out the passages and chapters of the Bible books that I will cover in the course. It’s basically to teach how to exegete and interpret the Bible in its entirety. And alas I realised how little people know the Bible besides what is taught in generalities in Sunday school and sermons.

These Seminarians whom I expect to know much more but I doubt very much their knowledge as over four years in Seminary they learn very little of the bible. Hence, as Amos prophesied there is a famine from hearing the words of the Lord. I have set out in the Law two chapters in Genesis, and Deuteronomy and also the Feasts of Israel in four books of the Bible giving them an overview how to interpret the Law and how it is applicable today or otherwise. For the Writings I chose two Psalms and first few chapters of Proverbs and Song of Songs 1 and main themes of Ecclesiastes. For the Prophets I chose the Servant Songs of Second Isaiah, Ezekiel’s calling in chs. 3 and 33. And Ezekiel 8-10. Haggai and Zech 1-6. For the Gospels, John 1 and 17. For Paul’s Letters Romans 9-11 and Ephesians 2. And finally, Revelation 2-3 and 19-22. I hope to cover all these in 14 weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment