Saturday, December 9, 2023

Service, Repairs and Realignment

I am no mechanic, but I am a car enthusiast. Yesterday at service, I was told there were five things wrong with my 14-year old car. First, engine mounting and the sales advisor asked whether I had it changed before. I do not even know that there was such a thing called engine mounting. Even the battery tray was loose and needs replacing. The casket cylinder head cover also had its day. All parts should have been changed 2 or 3 years ago but I just drove my car without much awareness. I suppose it is thus with our spiritual lives.

Many things could be wrong in our lives, habits, attitudes and prejudices, but we never seek change or seek for restoration of what God has intended us to be, created in the image of His Son and renewed in the true knowledge of His will. Many parts in our spiritual lives  could be out of sync with God’s will and we can continue on without awareness of our spiritual state that needs overhaul through repentance from the Greek word, “change of mind”. 

Often our minds are the last to be converted. So many people despite decades in Christ and holding senior positions in church but they are racists to the core. Even though some may think they are not racists but they possess an air of superiority and lack humility for the soul that is lifted up is not righteous before the Lord. 

Thus, there is much need of humility and open critical reflection of our spiritual state of being before the Lord. No wonder so often the Scripture tells us to admonish one another and that the primary function of God’s Word is to rebuke, reproach and correct so that we can be trained in righteousness and become more like Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment