Friday, December 29, 2023

The Child Jesus Grew in Wisdom

In the Gospel of Luke, it is written that the child, Jesus grew in wisdom and found favour in the sight of God and men. I quoted this verse when I prayed for an infant who just turned 1 year old last night. I prayed that the parents be granted wisdom to teach the child the words of God and specifically I added “found in the Bible”. I thought if parents really teach their children the words of Lord for 10 years, say 3 to 13 years old there is a chance that the child will be totally illiterate in the Bible.

I felt the urgency of the moment because my last two Christmas outings where I preached five times but the youths there were not interested in the words of the Lord and I doubt even a few read their Bibles. The challenge is biblical literacy. It starts with the pastor who is able to teach others just like the one intellectual requirement for an elder or overseer is that he is apt to teach. For me every church must have a mid-week Bible Study. Cell groups and prayer meetings are fine but we can’t neglect Bible study. Once a week a pastor or church leader should be able to lead a solid 90min Bible teaching either by books of the Bible or doctrines of the church. Father, raise up Ezras and Pauls of old who could impart Your truth to Your people.

No comments:

Post a Comment