Thursday, December 28, 2023

God's Famine of His Words

One notable observation in my three Christmas services was that hardly anyone (in fact I saw not a single soul) brought with him or her a real Bible. When I asked them to open the Bible in their hand phones, a few did but a majority did not even bother. Either, they were hoping that it is being projected onto the screen or that they are content with the preacher reading it aloud from the pulpit. Either way, I felt rather depressed over the whole thing, and a fellow pastor who texted me said the same things. It is indeed a famine of God's Word. The urgency is real. Next time, I will cry aloud to insist everyone owns a hard copy of a Bible. If they don't open the Bibles in church, don't expect them to read it at home.

It's famine, a famine of reading and hearing God's Words. I feel I am fighting a losing battle. Church attendance is falling and some leaders are content and treat online participants just the same. I told them to come physically to "church" and be a part of the body of Christ gathered for worship. Subtle false teachings are mushrooming and some leaders are content to let it go and follow the flow. There is no real urgency for anything. Worship is routine and songs become monotonous. Again, theology is lacking as many church leaders perhaps intentionally or unintentionally have forsaken the Word of God, reading it less and less and the Bible is no longer determinant on how they do things, provided it is "acceptable" or according to convention. The Word of God is alive and quick, sharper than any two-edged sword. We need to hear from You again, Lord. Lord, revive Your church in the midst of the years. In the multitude of Your wrath, have mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment