Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Sorting out Personal Documents

This is the first time in 7 years that I spent half a morning sorting out my personal documents. I have about 20 personal files, each file containing a specific area of my personal portfolios. I have no stocks or fixed deposits. I have 2 files on tax records, knowing that anytime in the next 12 years the tax man may call on the taxpayer. I have been a taxpayer for the past 6 years in Singapore. Even the half year in 2008, I had to pay some taxes in 2009. Singapore's tax regime is relatively benign and in terms of personal tax rates for individuals it is one of the lowest in the world. I have one file on the monies sent to my son from 2007 to 2011 before I got onto internet banking and the paper trail is less after that. I have spent half my fortune on my son, my only child.
Whether there will be returns may take at least 10 years to realize. This is long-term investment, one I would not expect anything in return except the satisfaction that as an earthly father though evil (Jesus said that) has done the best for my son. My third file is my car insurance documents. I still have documents for the second hand car I bought and later sold in New Zealand 14 years ago. The other file is my University records. I have three alma maters, by God's grace the top three Universities in New Zealand. I still have my Otago student cards. Another file is my legal documents and the accounting and audit records of my last 2 years of sole proprietorship. I still have a copy of my Bar admission certificate to the High Court of New Zealand, just in case I need that to return to legal practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment