Monday, October 10, 2022

Starbucks & the Song

I once wrote that most people prefer buying three cups of Starbucks coffee to buying a book, least of all from someone of no fame or familiarity. My book on the Song costs RM40.00 which is cheaper than three cups of starbucks coffee. I somewhat found myself in Starbucks having missed a junction planning to visit a bookstore holding a sale today. I saw on the menu board the cheapest type of coffee is RM13.95 per cup. I was right that people prefer drinking coffee to buying a theological book that could take up a year to write and they can enjoy much wisdom from it for at least a year or two.

Some books I re-read after 20 years still bring me joy and satisfaction. But it depends on how much we value knowledge. Yesterday at church I listened to a sermon littered with errors, not minor ones but major blunders in reference to the names of God. The preacher repeatedly said there were only three books one needs to read, the Law, the Psalms and the Gospel. Only two weeks ago I ended my sermon by quoting James’s advice to follow the example of the prophets. In fact, the prophetic writing makes up the biggest portion of the OT with major and minor prophets and we will really miss much of God’s Word if we neglect the prophets. Today I read Ezekiel 34 for morning devotions and it gives me much hope in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment