Monday, January 16, 2023

"All the Days are ordained for me" (Psalm 139:16)

Winding back from 2003 to 1998, I was in my final year as Treasurer-General. Only two years ago, early 2021 I realised how momentous my last year in office proved to be. In January 2021, it was announced that Malaysia suffered a contraction of 5.5% negative economic growth due to the Covid-19 health crisis and the many lockdowns. But the economist noted that it was not the worst in recent history as 1997-1998 was worse that the economic growth contracted by 7.5% due to the financial crisis at that time. I was in my last year as Treasurer-General and the growth in income was steady, the best coming in 1998 with more than 25% increase compared to 1997. At the height of economic crisis, God blessed the church and by November 1998 when I left office, I left a surplus of RM210,000 to my successor which lasted less than a year! With God nothing is impossible.

Five years back in 1993, I had just sold my law firm in February 1993, left everything to follow Christ and proceeded to fly to New Zealand with my young family and commenced learning Greek (a fortnight's intensive followed by double semesters) and then Hebrew for Semesters 1 and 2 as well. I wore glasses for the first time in August 1993 due to the many hours spent on learning Greek and Hebrew and to think of it, perhaps the lighting in my study room was not good at the time. We rented an unfurnished shoe-box two bed-room flat for NZD 160.00 per week. It was freezing cold in winter but we were young then. Our son who was 2 years old and he slept with us in our bed. Only a year later we bought a bed for him. Until today both Hebrew and Greek had stood me in good stead interpreting the Bible especially with the Greek Septuagint being probably the most important source for the study of the NT as well as the OT. Have I planned out or determine my own future? No! It is not in man to direct his own steps, O Lord! (Jeremiah 10:23).

No comments:

Post a Comment