Monday, January 16, 2023

"My Times are in Your Hands, O Lord" (Psalm 31:16)

Oftentimes this verse is a strong support. Sometimes, one wonders how long one has to wait. The theme of my sermon on Lunar New Year is that it is God who determines our steps and our days before Him. It is not in man to determine his own paths (Jeremiah). Psalm 139:16 is even more explicit. If there is a verse that supports predestination and foreknowledge of God, this is it: "All the days of my life are written in Your book before one of them came to be" That's an amazing statement. As this is my 59th year on this earth as a living soul, I can begin to appreciate this Scripture more and more. It is not in me to determine my own future. My times are in Your hands, O God. When I look at the year of the Rabbit, a cycle of twelve years and if I count backwards according to the animal of my date/year of birth from 2012 backwards as just another year, I would have completed the mighty five cycles of 60 years. 

In 2012, my future was very much in Singapore. I was granted Singapore Permanent Residence with an offer of citizenship in another 2 years. But now I am back in Sabah and my future is as uncertain as it has been and as it was. 12 years back, in 2000 at the start of the new millennium, I was granted a PhD scholarship from Otago University and was about to embark on research of my life, on the book of Revelation. Until today, I am still holding back the secrets of what the Lord has revealed, but perhaps in the Year of the Dragon, it will be revealed. 

12 years further back in 1988, I had just returned to Sabah to commence work as a lawyer after admission to the Bar in New Zealand in Dec 1987. And what a turn of events in 1988 as I did not even plan to stay back in Sabah as I bought return tickets back to NZ at that time. I joined this church of which I am still a member today and has served it for more than 28 years as a pastor. 12 years back in 1976, I was a sprightly 12 year old, just starting Secondary School (one year ahead of my peers) and met this wonderful group of classmates and schoolmates that we keep in touch until today and will be celebrating our reunion in May 2023 as most of them will be celebrating their 60th birthday. 

No matter how one sees it, it is all pre-ordained. I have nothing to do with it. Lets be more precise, say a division of 5 years. In 2018, I was in Ranau, in my fourth year there, travelling into many interior villages, pastoring a rural church, leading a Seminary for a little while and teaching many students over 4 years of College. In 2013 in Singapore, during my Perth's trip to attend the Society of New Testament Studies Congress, just barely a year after my SPR was granted, I was planning to teach my last three courses and intending to leave Singapore for good. "The heart of the king is like a river, He (God) changes it as He wills". In 2008, I was finishing my pastorate at my home church and in late January when I resigned my chairmanship of the District Superintendent's position, I had no where to go. I bought a one-way ticket back to New Zealand to be with my son who was in Form 7 (upper six), but within days I was offered the position at TTC after less than one hour of interview and 60% more than the starting pay I expected. How God took care of His servant! Those who trust in Him shall never put to shame. 

For sure, in 2003, I started to pastor my home church having just finished my doctorate. Again there was a major twist in event as our former President already recommended me to take up a teaching post in West Malaysia which looked guaranteed but fell through literally in the last day. All my days were ordained before one of them came to be. How my home church grew under mu leadership and it is still a pride and joy to look back at those 5 amazing years. I met up with an elder from my home church last week, and he told me many members missed my preaching and longed to see me minister in their midst. When the precious anointing flows, people are blessed and are given life as the Spirit quickens but the flesh profits nothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment