Wednesday, April 19, 2023

There is a Time for Everything (Calvin's Geneva Academy)

After an itinerant ministry for the past 12 months, it is time to settle down and rest for a while, though just a week off without ministry seems unusual. I have about three and a half weeks before a short holidays and God willing, I shall start in a new place of ministry by 1st June. In the past few days since being informed of the papers that I shall be offering, I have been thinking about the courses in NT that I shall be offering. It's a good start to teach something that I am familiar with, though with four courses on my slot, it will be a busy Semester and Sundays are truly rest day. It is very unlikely I will take on much preaching if at all for at least 6 months until the end of November before the Christmas season begins.

What am I going to do in the next 3 weeks? Perhaps I should start writing on my second volume of commentary on John's Gospel. It is more than three years now and next year or 2025 is a good time to publish the second volume, God willing. But having written four books in three years, I know how hard it is to get a good book out there and I would prefer to cease writing for a while if it is at all possible. But time is not on my side. John Calvin had written more than 30 commentaries by the time of his demise (he was only 55 years old when the Lord called him home) and I am already past that age with only two and a half commentaries to show for. I don't plan to write and publish like John Calvin; it is beyond me as Calvin was singularly gifted in so many ways - an apostle and prophet in his time and day. At least he saw his Bible College set up (Geneva Academy) with Hebrew and Greek professors appointed from the best there were in Europe. Nowadays, we just do the elementary and we are already satisfied. How far have we fallen! Kyrie Eleison!!

No comments:

Post a Comment