Saturday, September 30, 2023

Sukkot's Blessings

Since yesterday, despite my body's frailty in the past few days, my soul rejoices in the Lord for it is the Festival of Sukkot (Tents). I am reminded of how short this life is and how transient everything is and that our permanent home is not here and on earth we live only in tents as symbolised by the sukkah. In fact, literally I was ready to move again, despite not even fulfilling one Semester. If the Lord bids, I will go and follow closely behind Him. That's the only sure way to heaven for where He is, there His servant shall be. But before He calls, I will stay where I am as long as His presence is still here with me. In the book of Numbers 33, the Israelites' travels were summarised as "departure points" (hence, the title of my memoirs) with Israel stopping at 33 places and moving on, and then 7 or 8 more places still before they crossed the river Jordan.

So on average they moved at least once a year throughout their 40-year wandering in the desert. That's is our great calling as aliens and strangers of this world, always on a journey, departing from one place to another place, one ministry to another form of ministry, some even traverse oceans and many lands in search of the Beloved like the Shulamite lady always sensitive of her lover's absence from her side, searching until finding him in the city or in the streets and bringing him home for loving embrace (SS 3; SS 5). That is certainly a figure of Christian living. Always seeking the Lord in prayers, looking up to Him and when we sense that He is as if missing in our lives, we call out to Him until He answers and fills our hearts with His warm embrace of love and communion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment